The only good memories I have of school are from the very early years. Once I reached middle school, everything changed. I remember feeling so confused because I was intelligent and very outgoing.
I quickly discovered that in middle school, it wasn’t cool to be smart, unless we were doing a spelling bee. I was always the first one chosen for those.
In gym class, however, my mastery of spelling didn’t help me. Whenever they would pick teams, I was always one of the last three chosen. It was humiliating. I remember the jeers and taunting I would face every time I had to go to bat. I would purposely strike out just so I would be off home plate quickly, allowing my classmates to pick on their next victim.
It was a very difficult time for me. I wasn’t chosen unless my peers could somehow benefit from my presence. I was never chosen to be friends with the popular crowd.
I remember how I would wait for the bus in the mornings, fearing that I was going to have diarrhea, all because of the fear of the awaiting torture by my peers.
Yet, there is One who did choose me — Jesus. He chose me to go and bear fruit. (John 15:16) He chose me before the foundation of the world, and in His love, He adopted me and takes pleasure in me. He has redeemed me, lavishly pouring God’s grace upon me. The God of the universe has even made known to me the mystery of His will. My Creator has a plan and purpose for my life, and it is to bring glory to Him. (Ephesians 1:4-12)
As much as it hurt to be rejected by my peers, I believe all of the pain helped to lead me to God’s magnificent grace and bountiful love. I realize now that while many are invited, few are chosen. (Matthew 22:14)
Aren’t you glad that you are one of the chosen?
© 2008, Stacy R. Miller
- To Be Chosen or to Choose? (revivalandreformation.wordpress.com)
- Saved Sanctified Rewarded (jesuscarriesme.com)
- Deuteronomy 7 – Chosen (inchristalonedevotions.wordpress.com)
- This Post Is Just So Middle School (notthehardestpart.com)
- Thoughts on Ephesians 1:1-14 (evancasa.wordpress.com)
- “For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.” Ephesians 2:8-9 (briceybradshaw.wordpress.com)
- I AM God’s Chosen (authorbrianlknack.wordpress.com)